View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #131
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Alternate Versions of Inifinite Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarawesome View Post
I would want at least a couple Americas that were never colonized from Europe. Maybe a variant of Ezcalli with North America independent to some degree, and definitely a union of Native American neo-states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Without some kind of protect such Americas would be effectively crippled to insignificance by Western diseases specially if smallpox from one of these other Americas gets loose.
I think solving that problem is prerequisite for non-colonized timelines. Ezcalli specifically calls a columbian exchange in roman times as its divergece point, so "Ezcalli Variants" will feature native americans with resistance to old world diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
TL 8 for vaccines? Try TL 5. Heck, Edward Jenner was going on about the idea in the late 1790s and there was a large vaccination for smallpox in 1807.
in TL5, small pox is the only disease that can be vaccinated against, and that has been the case for well over 100 years. At the beginning of TL6 researchers begin making vaccines for other diseases: a cholera vaccine is developed in 1879 (the first "Lab Vaccine"), and one Louis Pastuer starts work on vaccines for Anthrax and Rabies. Throughout TL6 vaccines will slowly be worked out for more and more diseases, one by one.

So I'd say Vaccination is a TL6 technology, but its not mature until TL7. Of course, TL8 continues to refine the techniques.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote