View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS Starships line errata (and some observations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
Speaking of missiles: Even though some of the example ships in the Spaceships series mount the extremely-lethal missiles of the SS rules, the ship designers seem unevenly worried about them. Sometimes a weapons system that appears to be intended for missile defense is present but most often it is not. But the Space combat rules about point defense seem to be urging me to ALWAYS equip an obsolete (since damage doesn't matter in missile defense) very rapid fire turret of some kind in the central section to use as a point defense weapon.

Then it occurred to me: Maybe these were all just all supposed to be NPC ships meant to blow up more regularly and satisfyingly than the one the adventurers are using?
Spaceships has sort-of-realistic rules for missiles, but tends to be written as if it had wooshy-Space-Opera missiles.

This includes the loadouts of most ships. You'll notice a distinct lack of massed tertiary missile batteries...