View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #93
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Well that is kinda the point of my questions. That Orcwif is birthing largish puppies not 6-8 pound infants. Those pups are then growing at a phenomenal rate to hit, lets say 150 - 200 lbs, and they do it faster than a human?
Indeed. Orcs hit adulthood (i.e. reach full size) at around ten years of age, but are self-sufficient years before that.

Quote:
What about Orc baby skulls? Are they softer and more unformed because 1) they are smaller than human babies at birth and need to be able to fill out that skull so that their growing brains will fit and 2) so that they can get through the birth canal with out killing Mum. If the skul is softer that may expalin higher infant mortality accruing from the fights for food.
I'm guessing that even if they are soft at birth, they harden extremely quickly and end up stronger than human skulls. By the time an orc infant can walk, I'd expect the skull to be hard enough to take quite a few bumps.

Quote:
I wonder about the dietary requirements of the Orcs. Fast growth normally requires high calorie diets and abundant minerals and vitamins doesn't it?
Yep.

It helps that they can eat most anything, of course. Carrion, fungi, moss, etc. And they're accomplished hunters, trappers and gatherers. Their ability to eat things that would sicken a human boosts their survival ability considerably.