View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Default Re: Using The Magic Items Volumes With 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So I'm looking at using the various Magic Items volumes with 4e, the most obvious is for extra magic items for DF games but you never know what you'll come up with, so I want to know what problems I might encounter and how to patch over them. Some I've already spotted are:

Armor, do DR values need changing or do they work as listed? And what about PD, that doesn't exist anymore. Chainmail Bikini is a little more complicated, what should the stats for the true bikini be?

Should Enchanter’s Staff's exist? And how much should they cost?

Klein Beer, a bottomless bottle of beer should not cost $10, at the very least it must cost more to make, so long as you don't drink too much the problems with this go away, so how much?

What should Athame be in 4e games? Magery with limitations that work a to 2pts a level or can I simply pick up any knife and purify it?
Since you are talking about three different books it would be convenient to mention which book items you bring up are actually from. As for armor, pseudo-medieval armour hasn't changed much between games apart from dropping PD and compensating for that by cooking an increase in the ability to dodge and parry into the game mechanics of the new edition. But if it lists "Deflect" among the component spells, well that's an enchantment that still exists in fourth edition. Thus if you are wearing Evasive Armour from Magic Items 1 you'd get a +3 defensive bonus.

Chainmail Bikini is a joke enchantment that takes a real set of armour and makes most of it invisible while disguising the remainder with an illusion. Thus it's stats are those of the real armour, possibly enhanced with other enchantments.

Whether Enchanter's Staff should exist and how much it would cost are world-building decisions. It's obvious from the write-up that it shouldn't be in player-character hands except to serve a specific plot need.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote