View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #46
The Colonel

Default Re: When did traps get silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
What the first post means by "silly" isn't something like the Grimtooth trap that's a lock whose trap fires a sharpened, poisoned telephone pole from the opposite wall (the poison's for those who claim their character can survive being hit by a sharpened telephone pole), it's the existence of functioning mechanical traps and deadly poisons in structures that haven't seen any maintenance for over a century. (That's why I use such things as indicators that the structure currently has sapient occupants, even if they're not the originals - orcs may not be adept at inventing, say, delicately-counterbalanced levers between a floor tile and a loaded spring-launcher for spears, but they can reload and maintain the launcher and the balancing mechanism.)
Ah. In that case ... I suspect it was always thus and self awareness has only recently crept up on us. Much like "dungeon ecology", which, despite the occasional Gygaxian spasm, was observed more in its absence.
I remember it being highlighted in Oblivion as various NPCs remark on the extroardianry state of preservation of the traps in the Ayelid ruins. Still nothing on their ability to preserve fruit though.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote