View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
RedMattis

Default Re: Which optional rules do you use for social traits?

I soft-cap the reaction modifier to -10/+8 most of the time, at least in somewhat serious settings.

Lower than -10 is mostly just suitable for Lovecraftian horrors, I think. Not even (GURPS Magic) demons have that low of an initial reaction with their "social stigma" + "appearance". Less than -10 means just about everyone the modifier applies to will either run away or attack you even if they are otherwise nearly pacifistic. Your poorly-dressed vampire bum when correctly identified should not give you a -18 penalty or something f.ex. unless you actually want people to react more negatively to you than a literal pure evil demon.

Above +8 results in almost everyone (the bonus applies to) reacting in a positive way towards you. This might make sense for a charismatic ruler, or a charismatic and renowned hero, so I permit it under some circumstances, but not to everyone unless the reaction comes from supernatural traits such as Charisma (Glamour), or any type of character which might also have "Terror (Awe)".

By "soft-cap" I mean that I don't generally permit player characters to stack up total penalties or bonuses below/above those values except as noted above.

Last edited by RedMattis; 11-21-2020 at 07:31 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote