View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Staff Spell Item Prerequisites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
I have concluded that the once-living requirement serves largely to keep a staff from serving as too good of a weapon (I point my sword at him and cast fireball!), while the length requirement obviously limits how much the staff can benefit distance modifiers.
I don't know that that's a thing. Staves are good weapons GURPS honestly doesn't have a lot of not-good weapons. There are plentiful explanations for why a magic staff would have to be made of a material similar to your finger or why it couldn't be longer than a man is tall. I could see a super important need to make limitations on the Staff Spell so that you don't cast the Staff Enchantment on a Road and use it to make touch attacks one people miles away in a city you've never been to.

There's no great reason why your wizard's staff couldn't have a protective butt be decorated with a spear head or a glave blade. I would presume that you cannot use the decoration to cast through so you wouldn't gain the benefit of Wizard's touch unless you touch with the organic part of the staff.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote