Thread: Vacc Suits
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #38
hal

Default Re: Vacc Suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In my campaign set on Mars, I had been assuming that people wore the vacc suits in GURPS Ultra-Tech to go outside. But all of those are skintight, using direct pressure on the skin to prevent air loss. The setting of my campaign, Pavonis Portal, is culturally Brazilian and has not undergone 20th-century modernization; women mostly wear skirts or dresses, and even men wear elaborate layered clothes—and there are ideas about modesty that would hinder taking off one's clothes in an emergency to put on a vacc suit.

But I can't see anyplace in either High-Tech or Ultra-Tech that lists the more rigid, less maneuverable vacc suits discussed briefly in Ultra-Tech. Is there a gear listing anywhere for these? How much do they cost, how much do they weigh, and what penalties do they impose on the wearer?
How up to date is your Pyramid Library? David provided rules for creating armor, but also sort of included rules for creating vacc suits. What you're looking for is the Oct 2016 issue of Eidetic Memory Ultra-Tech Armor Design by David L. Pulver It has rules for Life Support and vacuum support aspects of either rigid or flexible armors. There is even an extended life support system should you feel that some of the suits require extended periods of time on the surface of Mars. Let me know if you want me to try and design a Mars suit using those rules and email it to you. You have my private email I presume. If not, simply click on my name at the Forums and send me an email that way. I've already got a spreadsheet that lets me design armor for any given tech level (I picked up all three articles and created the spreadsheet such it will handle all TLs in GURPS).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote