View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #38
bocephus

Default Re: Archery in this game kind of sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
We also haven't heard back from the OP as to some clarifications. Was that REALLY a case that the GM allowed the melee fighters to go 30 hexes a round? (Because yikes, that's over 120 mph.) Did the OP actually speak with the GM over this? Is it really the case that NPCs in this campaign are always at least in mail? And is this an ongoing thing in this campaign, or was this the OP's first session?

Never mind, finally ... look. The OP's saying that archery sucks in GURPS, and my knee jerk reaction was "In that campaign, maybe, but not generally; hmm, you must be new to the system."

Only look at the profile, and the OP's been playing GURPS for over 30 years, and has a few hundred posts on the forum spread over seven years. Huh? This doesn't square. .
I support your point that the OP has never come back to clarify, which is intensely frustrating for people that are trying to help.

However the last line made me think you may not realize how other people use GURPS.

Quote:
Only look at the profile, and the OP's been playing GURPS for over 30 years, and has a few hundred posts on the forum spread over seven years. Huh? This doesn't square. .
That very nearly describes me and I can tell you to this day I have never used (as a player or GM) any GURPS mechanic involving the post 1500AD methods of Driving, Flying, Sailing or Space travel. I have never used or experience Warp mechanics, I have never played or run a Supers game, I have never even read a GURPS book that with a setting above TL8 (except mentions that occur in Basic and the like).

Just two years ago became part of a game that takes place in 'modern times' uses a form of RPM, Firearms, Smart Phones, and PCs need 'regular jobs' that take time and factor into the game. Every one of these things was utterly and completely new to me in a GURPS game.

I still think RPM is the Debian of the GURPS world and people that understand it are obscure little goblin people that speak a language I will never understand, but it seems like it might be really useful if one had the time and use case to learn it.

There is so much to GURPS that its not hard at all for me to believe someone has never experienced the RAW form of Archery in a medieval, possibly Med-Fan, setting. I too would like to see some feedback from the OP, if for no other reason so that people might know what helped or what didn't.

Some return communication from the OP is probably the next best step.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote