Thread: Spear Master
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #24
Tomsdad

Default Re: Spear Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte42 View Post
This post reminds me of the polearm sport I've done in the past, notably 5 - 6 foot long pole-axe and 7 - 8 foot long glaive. Using either weapon at reach is not conducive to parrying in general. If I was GMing, I'd say that the staff parry could only be used when the weapon was not used at range 2 (i.e. used as an attack at range 1, not used for an attack at all and so on)....
Don't forget that on full length polearms (so 7-8') you are at parry 0U anyway* so if you are attacking you're not parrying unless you are using a defensive attack. It get's a bit better on cut down dueling versions (so 5-6') but you are still limited to Thrusting attacks to avoid 0U.

Form mastery on Polearms to staff is by RAW a bit weird anyway. Dueling polearms get their own line under Staff skill but parry at 0U or 0 anyway so why bother switch!

It's not clear what line you'd use for full length Polearms. Either way I wouldn't allow you to make a Unbalanced attack and then get around that by using Form mastery to swap to weapon listing that included a line that doesn't have a U in it.

You want to swing a top heavy polearm about and parry go defensive and be strong enough so that your opnet still feels like they're getting hit full strength!

*and your weapon becomes unready if you are swinging it!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-08-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote