View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #48
Sindri

Default Re: Capping Skill Default Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
"A skill can not default to another skill known only by default....However, techniques are not skills." (B.232, Double Defaults and Techniques)

Since techniques are not skills, the rule against double defaults for skills does not apply.
It is not sufficient to end the quote there. The full section is

Quote:
A skill cannot default to another skill know only by default (see Double Defaults, p. 173). However, techniques are not skills. If two techniques are based on the same underlying skill, one can default to the other, even if you only know the intermediate techniques at default.
It says that techniques are not skills. Accordingly they can have different rules for double defaults. However it does not say that the double default rules do not apply only that a specific situation of defaulting a technique from a technique does not fall under them.

Also it is my second point that is most significant. Techniques are weirdly written and constantly assume that you will be buying them up rather than presenting the technique things and then presenting the rules for buying them up but while "you may use" is not perfectly clear absent any specific statement of being able to use techniques specifically and not options which also exist as techniques it is reasonable to interpret it as ruling out untrained use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
However, Kromm claims that his forum posts override the published books, and enough people here agree that there's little point continuing a discussion when it devolves into a game of "find the Kromm quote", so I'm done.
Well it's up to you but I don't think that's necessary. I supplied the quote among other things because I'm willing to discuss it in terms of written rules as well as forum clarifications.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-20-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote