View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
mburr0003

Default Re: The ability of DFRPG PCs to "break" the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
This can be sort of embarrassing for the GM, or whoever designed the setting—if the status quo is so easily swept away, how the heck did it even become the status quo in the first place?
Insufficient thought and playtesting on the part of the setting/game designer.

Quote:
However... and this seems so surprising to me I never seriously considered it until now... might DFRPG avoid this problem?
DFRPG doesn't try to stop "world-breaking" spells and abilities, it removes "adventure avoiding" spells and alters ones that would lead to a PC Wizard (for instance) just becoming a stone mason for big bucks.

Other than that, it really does somewhat embrace the "go gonzo my lad" mentality of the older "Medieval" Fantasy Super-hero games.

However, that can also be easily tempered by the GM just withholding magic items and exp, or gating off some of the more ludicrous "reality-bending' power-ups or putting in lower Attribute and Skill limits (Attributes have a pretty high ceiling and it's expected PCs will buy up Attributes over Skills, and Skills canonically have no limit in DFRPG).

I mean it's whole premise is very much Mike Mearls "Back to the Dungeon" mindset, handwaving Town and abstracting non-'Dungeoneering' social and adventuring rolls down as much as possible.
mburr0003 is online now   Reply With Quote