View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Rigil_Kent

Default [Horror] Corruption and Time Use

In the game that I'm running (essentially Monster Hunters, using the Dresden Files setting), I have a character who has obtained a number of special abilities that are mostly physical in nature (Discriminatory Hearing, Discriminatory Smell, extra DX, ST, and HT, other) following an ill-advised (and ill-phrased) bargain with a powerful Fae. To reflect the effects of a Mantle of Power, we decided that he would use the Corruption mechanic from Horror - each time he actively used one of these abilities, he gained set number of Corruption points. As a result, he just recently passed the "begin making weekly checks" threshold.

My question is centered around how we should determine how many such corruption points he obtains during those empty spaces between story arcs. Right now, we have a rotating set of games with different GMs and my game runs mostly in real-time (e.g., I resumed running in January after a little more than a year had passed since I ran last; as a result, a little more than a year in gametime had passed as well. All six sessions took place around Christmas last year, and my next story arc begins this Friday and is going to be set in mid-February.)

Now, as these enhanced abilities are mostly centered around physicality and the character in question is a very physical guy (sneaky Fae there, playing his strengths against him), it does not seem logical that he would not utilize any of those abilities during his off time, especially as the player has indicated he is intending on having the character be willfully blind to what is happening to him.

Any suggestions on a mechanic to handle this?

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote