View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
chandley

Default Re: Double-Jointed (Flexibility 2) vs. Extra-Flexible Arms (all of them)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Both EFA and DJ allow one to function in combat regardless of facing, though. So what's the hidden benefit that makes EFA worth the extra points? And what is it that octopodes lack that they don't have DJ (and thus don't have its more broadly-applicable noncombat skill bonuses)?
This doesn't follow. They DON'T both allow you ignore facing. DJ gives the skill bonus and allows you to ignore a chunk of penalties from close quarters. Doesn't even hint at ignoring facing.

Extra-Flexible arms allow the EF arm to always reach and work with other limbs, but says absolutely nothing about ignoring facing in combat. At best that means you could pick a side for your shield without actually moving the shield to a different arm. But it doesn't allow you to make blocks to your rear hex absent some other advantage.

Where are you getting the ignore facing exception from?

As for EF vs DJ pricing, EF arms can't be Judo Locked, only Wrenched, but I believe that is introduced in Martial Arts. If you have 360 deg Vision, I could see an argument for allowing EF arms to attack to your rear facing ("reach and work with other limbs, regardless of body positioning, general layout...") without the -2 for a "clumsy angle". GM Call. DJ definitely doesn't do that though.