Thread: Flexibility
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #16
The Benj

Default Re: Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Thank you for all the replies!

I don't know about flexible people automatically being able to retain strength while contorted...

But this does help me visualize a flexible person climbing faster/easier then an inflexible one.

As for the point cost, I do like the idea of Flexibility only canceling penalties. Let's look at how that would work.

Escape: Modern handcuffs give you -5 so Flexibility helps in that case and the fact that dislocating your limb (B192) halves the penalty for secure bonds means that course of action has anti-synergy with Flexibility which that makes sense to me.
This raises the question of whether you'd halve the -5 to -3 then reduce it by 3 (to 0) or reduce it to -2 then halve it to -1. Either seems fine, although I'm inclined to err on the side of the former.

Quote:
OTOH I don't think I like the rules for Escape much. -5 for handcuffs seems low to me
Low as in not a big enough penalty or low as in your chances will be too low?

Quote:
...and if you can slip cuffs I would think you could do it in less then a minute.
That's what taking a penalty in order to do things faster is for. You could take a total of -14 (not taking Flexible or dislocation into account) in order to escape in 6 seconds if you want.

Quote:
Erotic Art: This skill is left pretty abstract so I think I would just say that in any situation where an odd position would be called for you get -x for it being hard and +x for it being so hot. Yeah I think that works okay.
Yeah, penalties aren't something that are... uh... fully explored in the write-up for the skill. I'll confess to mostly handwaving this one.

Quote:
Break free: I would say Flexibility just cancels the bonus your foe gets for using two hands or for pining you (B371). In that case Flexibility would only not help in a non-pin, one handed grapple. Seems okay to me.
Yeah, that sounds alright to me too. If someone's just got a hand on you, being able to twist in funny ways isn't going to be nearly the boon that it would be when they were relying on the extra control of a two-handed grip and you suddenly rotate your arm in a way you shouldn't be able to.

Quote:
Climbing: As long as the GM can keep clear in his head/notes what penalties are for how slippery or vertical a surface is and what penalties are for hand/foot holds being far apart this might work okay.
Slippery, sure, but being bendy is also useful for keeping your centre of gravity close to the surface while you maneuver.

Last edited by The Benj; 07-29-2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Markup editing
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote