View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Vehicles, range, fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Unpowered vehicles rowed or pulled by beings have Range F, which means the FP of the rowers or pullers and their provisions limit range.

Is there anywhere in the rules that FP costs for rowing or pulling? How many men do I really need to keep my 30-oar longship moving up the river without halting? How far will my wagon drawn by two horses really go before resting?

"Rowing is kind of like hiking" is an unsatisfying answer.
Rowing at a slow speed you'd use for long distance travel is like hiking. Rowing flat-out, as you would in a triērēs vs triērēs battle is like running or sprinting.

Now, what's lacking are detailed rules for speed vs FP consumption. The best we get is that ~75% of top speed is like hiking, and thus can be continued until the sleep rules take the rowers out of action, and that top speed uses FP like running does and thus costs 1FP per failed HT roll (presumably you could substitute Boating (Unpowered) for HT), rolling once per minute.

This is actually pretty good for professional oarsmen - they'll have HT/Boating at 12 or so, and even with the normal 10FP can spend 7FP before speed drops to 1/2, and thus will be rowing at top speed for nearly 30 minutes, on average. I'd consider ruling that FP is spent as sprinting (i.e. four times as fast), or make some more detailed rules that allow for 'hiking', 'running', and 'sprinting' speeds.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote