View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #14
the-red-scare

Default Re: [Spaceships] Engine size and performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The idea that you can use the same designs with only minimal modifications over a size range of +5 to +15 (100,000 times) lacks real world justifications, a lot of systems have both minimum and maximum practical sizes or don't scale in a simple way, but Spaceships was always intended as quick and dirty, not an accurate simulation of anything.
I’m all about finding the breaking points to make things interesting. It’s really easy to make a lot of Spaceships vessels that are all basically identical except for, say, size. Or you make opposing cruisers for two space nations at war and realize they’re pretty much the same. I want the little nitpicky bits that give different ships character.

I’ve already got a way to account for volume and surface area (so hydrogen-filled fusion ships are much bigger and have weaker armor speed over more area than nuclear pellet-filled ships, for example). I have more detailed radiator rules with Heat Points and so on. Lots of house rules like that. So figuring out limitations to things like rocket size is all of a piece with that effort.
the-red-scare is offline   Reply With Quote