View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #38
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
So was I, this might be a good fit for represnting something like the benifits of joining the Circle of the Crone. Figure one Level of Vampire (Control Magic) per level of their discipline power and thats one power out of the the six per discipline level that I am trying to hit right now.
Cool. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I really dislike the idea of encouraging people to buy Allies as Advantages instead of using RPM spells to summon Elementals and other pets

Though it may just be my love of my 'Campaign Baseline RPM summoned Ally is throw weight = X' RPM Allies house rule
Why? It's easier to simply buy them as a ally instead of conflubberating the rules and trying to get them to work. Buying a zombie/skeleton ally for necromancers just makes sense.

That said, in my own games I use a new modifier, Summoned, which contains extra energy cost and relies on a static point level to determine what can be summoned and how difficult that is.

Power Additional Energy Cost
25% +4 energy
50% +8 energy
75% +12 energy
100% +20 energy
150% +40 energy
+50% +5 energy

For multiple beings, multiply the cost by the number of beings. If there are more than five, use the following:

Group Additional Energy Cost
6-10 beings x6 energy
11-20 beings x8 energy
21-50 beings x10 energy
11-100 beings x12 energy
x10 +x6 energy

So summoning a minor devil might look like:

Summon Imp
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Spirit + Lesser Sense Spirit + Lesser Strengthen Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Summoned.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell conjures a minor devil, a imp to do the caster's bidding for the next day.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Spirit (5) + Lesser Sense Spirit (2) + Lesser Strengthen Crossroads (3) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Summoned, 25% of total (4). 21 energy (21x1).

Summon Imp Horde
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Spirit + Lesser Sense Spirit + Lesser Strengthen Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Summoned, Group.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell conjures a gaggle of a minor devils, six imps to do the caster's bidding for the next day.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Spirit (5) + Lesser Sense Spirit (2) + Lesser Strengthen Crossroads (3) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Summoned, 25% of total, Group, 6-10 (24). 41 energy (41x1).

This assumes a game where the static point total is about 250. If I was constantly summoning the same being, I'd still buy it as a ally if I could.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote