View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
FJCestero

Default Re: Steve vs. the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Main bat vs 3/1 kills an avg of 1.25 squads, against 2/1 it kills an avg of 1.25 squads.

Sec bat vs 3/1 kills an avg of 1.25 squads, against 2/1 it kills an avg of 1.00 squads.

Infantry that masters staying alive does more damage over time.
Hmmm... (and assuming we're talking a standard kill-the-CP scenario).
MB vs 3/1 INF averages 1.33, vs 2/1 INF averages 1.33
SB vs 3/1 INF averages 1.33, vs 2/1 INF averages 1.00

So, a) with regards to MBs, it's a wash. For SB's you take 33% more damage, true, but you bring 50% more firepower for a three stack over a two.

But my real problem is the whole "staying alive" part: that assumes that playing for time at that stage of the game is the smart move. Obviously not, because every turn you don't pile on for maximum damage the Ogre just gets that much closer to your CP, and also because every extra turn you struggle to keep your infantry alive for is just one more turn the Ogre gets a free boost of 8 or 12 points of firepower.

I don't think the whole "point" of infantry is to stay alive, rather it's there to pile on the dakka while your surviving vehicles stay out of ramming range (or at least keep things to one crunch per turn). All those attack rolls gives you statistical confidence instead of having the game determined by a few lucky/unlucky rolls. So, with that "certainty", sandpaper the treads to make sure you slow it down to 2 and then hit the guns with the left-overs. What's left should (hopefully) be damaged enough to die to your remaining MSL tanks, that just run along the flanks and pound with impunity.

Then again, I've never seen Steve play. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote