View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #42
Icelander

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Maybe a FN BAR Magnum, .300 WM it already comes in powerful 8d pi, give it a nasty round* (or even a bigger one). It has a detachable box so quick reloads. It's been around since the 60's so I'm guessing lots of accessories are available e.g extended magazines.

It's got plenty of range and is accurate so you won't need to wait for the bear to get close
The FN BAR Magnum is probably the best for the job. It comes in up to .338 Win Mag. I wonder if extended magazines even exist, though.

Maybe semi-automatic is not the way to go. Lever-action is fast enough, especially if the magazine is big. ROF 2 and Shots 8+1 would beat ROF 3 and Shots 3+1 all hollow. Even bolt action may be acceptable, as long as the ammunition capacity and/or speed to reload are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
But if you in dense woods again a powerful shotgun with slugs for that tasty pi++ damage mod, Franchi SPAS 15 comes out in 86'
I figured that someone living in woods where he maybe expected that his home might be invaded by groups of Godless killing machine bears might own a 12-gauge with an extended magazine, a big game rifle and a high-capacity automatic rifle. Not a rich man by any means, so economy choices, but one that knows guns and has spent his entire Status 0 budget for the past several years on setting himself up to defend himself and his community.

I was figuring a Remington 870 with a 7+1 capacity and sights for slugs, an SKS or maybe a Ruger or AR-15 design in a decent deer caliber and maybe a Brno 602 (CZ 550) in a practical bear-killing caliber, especially if he could get a 5 round detachable magazine.

Other options might be a heavy-caliber lever-action, like the Winchester '95 or the Marlin 444. A lot of fairly affordable options in modern .45-70 chamberings exist, but few real customers are looking for high ammunition capacity. How practical is getting an extended tubular magazine with Shots 6+ in a good bear-killing caliber? Edit: Seems you can get a Shots 6+1 or even a Shots 7+1 .45-70 lever-action pretty easily, so I'm thinking lever-action is the way to go. Fits the character, too. Old school.

He'd own an old .30-30 lever-action and some kind of varmint gun already, from when he was a kid.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-15-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote