View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: (Unofficial) FAQ of the GURPS Fora

Q: I would like some clarifications on how Autohypnosis works in games.
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh
  • Since the this is a skill that is more useful in a hurry, and has a listed time requirement, and isn't supernatural, I'm assuming Time Spent modifiers apply. Correct?
No. Time is fixed by skill level. Skills like that don't allow changes in time spent unless they specifically say so and give rules, as with Power Blow.

Quote:
  • The Increase Will option is ambiguous. On one hand, it says that it Increases Will, which seems to be a broad use. On the other, it says that this applies to attempts to resist torture, interrogation, or magical/psi attack, though it is not explicitly mentioned to be an exhaustive list. Is the latter meant to narrow down the former or not?
It's a reminder that these things have to do with Will, not an exclusive list.

Quote:
  • Real-life mentions of autohypnosis helping overcome one's inner demons exist. Back in 3e, resistance to Phobias was mentioned. Should perhaps an option of increasing Self-Control numbers exist in 4e?
No. Or to be precise, it was discussed and rejected . . . a "weasel out of my disads" skill was deemed a very bad idea indeed.

Quote:
  • You cannot talk or move during the initiation of the trance state. Ergo, talking and doing stuff while the effect lasts is okay, right?
Yes.

Quote:
  • A successful skill roll allows you to do one of the following. This limit applies to the number of effects that are active at a time, not per roll.
You can have one effect "on" at a time, yes. You cannot make N rolls for N effects.

Quote:
  • You once mentioned taking more injury after ignoring pain/fatigue broke the trance. I'm assuming this was missed in the book for whatever reasons, and should be considered an 'approved' effect. Right?
Sure.

Quote:
  • Corollary to the above: it is mentioned that regular Hypnotism is as good as anęsthetic for Surgery modifiers. Should Autohypnosis be too?
Yes.

Quote:
  • Negate Pain/Fatigue is the only one with a limit of one roll per hour. Ergo, you can retry other rolls. Right?
Yes, that's why the one case is called out as special.

Quote:
  • Should Negate Pain be usable for actual long-term pain effects, such as a Pain affliction or the long-term pain from an old wound/sickness/etc.? If so, what would the effect be? Perhaps a High Pain Threshold equivalent?
I always let it work as HPT with an activation roll and time limit, so that seems fair.

Quote:
  • Does the character (and player) know whether s/he succeeded on a roll?
Yes. This is a roll by the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You can get one of the effects, once. You cannot get more than one effect at a time, or stack instances of the same effect. That is what "one of the following" means.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 05-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote