View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #66
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Starting Wealth, What cost of Living gets you, and Cost of a Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary_155 View Post
Most of the time, characters want money for equipment. Making them pay points for starting cash is also fine, but there should be a way to buy starting money more cheaply than paying the same cost for wealth. 1 point per 10% is the same cost as buying the first level of wealth (Comfortable). Hey, whatever. Do what you and your players want. In my game world, we make starting money cost 1/2 (in point cost) what 'wealth' costs. And you cannot take "less starting money" as a disadvantage. There, you have to take full wealth disadvantage. (which is really unplayable unless they take this as a vow of poverty or the equivalent)
Wealth isn't too expensive as a way of buying adventuring gear. If anything, it's too cheap and grows too fast. The entire space of plots that boil down to 'need more money'? Cost about 10 CP to blow away. Not that you can't prevent that if you want to. But Wealth is extremely powerful. Having enough Wealth to knock over African governments doesn't cost all that much.