View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #88
Cheese8242

Default Re: Munchkin with two players

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat
I already instituted the level 1 is minimum level so if you aren't above level 1 and you get a lose a level card you stay 1st level with no consequence.

I'm waffling between two choices of additional adjustments to rules to allow the game to go more smoothly and allow some variation in outcome.

Option 1
1. Level 1 monsters are defeated by a level one character even if the character has no bonuses. This is the most conservative change but it means that ONLY level 1 monsters can get you out of your quandry.
2. If a character is level 3 or below and the monster is not a character that doesn't pursue that character's level if you run away the other player MUST assist you in combat. The assist works normally and treasures must be shared. This has the advantage of only assisting lower levels but allowing a lot of outcomes.
3. Both character and monster roll a d3 (1/2 d6 roll rounded down). Difference is added to the higher rolls total. Example player rolls 6 (3 effectively) monster rolls 4 (2 effectively). The player gets an additional plus one to the combat. However, if monster rolled 3 and player rolled 2 then the monster would get an effective +1. The biggest disadvantage to this is that it would slow down combat and change a lot of the dynamic.

Any thoughts.
First, level 1 has always been a minimum level. You can never go below level 1 whether you make it a rule or not.

As for the others, if they work for you then I would go with it.

I have personally never had a problem getting past level 1 in a 2 player game. Even when not getting any treasure that can help. We have always played friendly in a two player game, at least until everyone has gained a level or two. Only then have we gotten cut throat.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote