View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #86
mehrkat

Default Munchkin with two players

I posted before for suggestions how to alter a Munchkin game to allow for only two players to play effectively. This is mainly to allow me to play with my son effectively.

I've finally narrowed down what my issue is. It is the early levels or more precisely level 1. If you are level 1 and none of your treasures add a bonus or if you lose the bonus you become unable to defeat a level 1 monster and therefore unable to access treasure cards which is where the vast number of bonuses are and it becomes a vicous cycle that can't be overcome. If it was a 3 player game then there would be a certain amount of teamwork and so if you were level one and another guy were level one you could wheel and deal to get out of it.

I already instituted the level 1 is minimum level so if you aren't above level 1 and you get a lose a level card you stay 1st level with no consequence.

I'm waffling between two choices of additional adjustments to rules to allow the game to go more smoothly and allow some variation in outcome.

Option 1
1. Level 1 monsters are defeated by a level one character even if the character has no bonuses. This is the most conservative change but it means that ONLY level 1 monsters can get you out of your quandry.
2. If a character is level 3 or below and the monster is not a character that doesn't pursue that character's level if you run away the other player MUST assist you in combat. The assist works normally and treasures must be shared. This has the advantage of only assisting lower levels but allowing a lot of outcomes.
3. Both character and monster roll a d3 (1/2 d6 roll rounded down). Difference is added to the higher rolls total. Example player rolls 6 (3 effectively) monster rolls 4 (2 effectively). The player gets an additional plus one to the combat. However, if monster rolled 3 and player rolled 2 then the monster would get an effective +1. The biggest disadvantage to this is that it would slow down combat and change a lot of the dynamic.

Any thoughts.