View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 12:02 AM   #106
Plane

Default Re: should there actually be "indestructible" weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
The problem is that as written the Force weapons are unbreakable [for some situations] no matter what DR they possess.
One thing I just realized about the 'damage to objects' rules.

If B483 has you make HT rolls to avoid "breaking" at 0HP or less... and B484 has you make HT rolls to avoid "death" at -1xHP or less...

If you have max 1HP then they are still two categories (0 HP and -1)

If you have fraction HP which approaches zero, you get to a point where 0HP and -1xHP become closer and closer together.

Maybe for near-massless objects (like energy weapons) with nearly-zero fractional HP you effectively skip that "0 or less" category (can never "break") and instead move right into "HT roll to avoid shattering" territory.

Actually more than that... it also means the automatic shattering threshold (-5xHP) is easily reached.

For example if it were possible to have "0.2 HP" then -5xHP is reached at -1 HP, while 0.1 HP would reach it at -0.5 HP.

This means your blade wouldn't even need a HT attribute for death checks... any time the DR is penetrated it just automatically "shatters".

You could have it reconstitute itself a second later by giving it "Unkillable 3" plus Regeneration (1HP/second) which you're going to be buying anyway to regenerate the Ablative DR too.

UK3 requires full HP regen to reconstitute, but 1HP/second recovery would be all it would take to go from -5xHP to 1xHP (requiring 6xHP) if you had a max HP of 0.1.

Or we just use UK2 which is cheaper and avoids the whole "GM's choosing" weirdness. I thought we'd need that for "blade is remade wherever the handle is, not where it was broken" but I think UK2 covers it like "the handle is your ally that lugs around your indestrucitble corpse".

I'm thinking UK2's "indestructible skeleton" just means "there's a transportable thing you can lug around which heals HP" but not something like "you have something with infinite cover DR". Someone at -10xHP might still "exist" in some form but shouldn't be like the perfect shield...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote