View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #48
naloth

Default Re: should there actually be "indestructible" weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It is, however, exactly how Limited Use is priced. Honestly, Limited Use, 10/day, Fast Reload would probably be more restrictive than how Corsair's power has been described in this thread... but the Limited Use/Takes Recharge/Costs FP/Maximum Duration family of Limitations have some weird prices between them (IIRC, being able to use something for up to a minute, then having to wait 5 minutes before it can be used again, is more of a Limitation than only being able to use it for 2 minutes in an entire day - that is, Maximum Duration, 1 minutes, is worth more than Limited Use, 2/day).
Weirdness aside (of which, yes I agree there are values I consider more appropriate than others), the point was that Limited Use comes up a lot more often than Cannot Be Stolen, but Cannot Be Stolen tends to be much more severe as it can deny you the use of your power for an indefinite period of time. Suggesting Cannot be Stolen is worthless or at most only a -5% nuisance because it doesn't come up daily severely misrepresents how much of a limitation it can be.

Quote:
Preparation Required is probably more appropriate here.
If you only get to use an ability once per use, sure. If you can use it multiple times, Limited Use tends to fit better. The "GM determines weight can cost" is deliberately vague. It could be assigned as nothing or it could be grounds for additional limitations if the ammo it heavy, hard to come by, or expensive.

Quote:
Under the above proposition, backups that you keep at your base may be available at a further reduced cost - perhaps half, so those are at net 1/10th price. I'd let you mix and match freely - a character could pay 2/5ths again the price of the Gadget, and then can carry two backups with him, keep four backups back at base, or carry one backup with him and keep two more back at base... and can switch freely when at base (if this requires you to lose a backup, you can have it suffer an unfortunate accident, have the character discover it's actually faulty and won't work, or whatever).
That sounds reasonable. Besides, I ran a few quick numbers and that's very similar to the cost I ran into just decreasing the value of Breakable and Cannot be Stolen.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote