View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #27
Plane

Default Re: should there actually be "indestructible" weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I was thinking the default was that it was a particularly troublesome repair, but I see that if that's the case, it gets a further -15%
nor how to price the cost (and set the weight) of the materials needed for Major Repairs (I'd be inclined to set the nominal price of the gadget at around 1% of Starting Wealth per [1] - in a TL 8 campaign, a [50] Gadget is nominally worth $10,000; for weight, probably go simple - repair materials worth 100% of the item's price weigh the same as the item).
The only guideline I've seen for repairs for Gadgets might be Kromm's talking about magical repairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The reparable/not reparable decision rests on the question of whether the gadget, if reduced to the point where it no longer functions as a gadget, can be restored to its former capabilities.

In this case, once a magic staff is broken to the point where it no longer functions as a quarterstaff, the Staff spell ends.

However, Staff is a cheap spell, so I would argue that casting Repair and then recasting Staff would qualify as "making repairs" in a magical world.

The real question here isn't about the Staff spell but about other things stuck on the staff as advantages; e.g., Energy Reserve.

If physical repairs and/or Repair, followed by recasting Staff, would restore those, then I think the gadget rates as reparable. Otherwise, it doesn't.
We know there are equivalent monetary values for enchanted items (M20: $33 per energy, so $660 for a 20-energy spell like Staff) as for Repair you could prob just use the staff's original cost.

This approach doesn't really seem to scale up with the value of advantages though... same requirement to restore ER 10 w/ Gadget limitations (staff) as it is to repair a staff that hosts ER 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'm not sure exactly how you're meant to handle things if the gadget is outright destroyed (fails HT roll below -1xHP, or reaches -5xHP), however
Yeah that doesn't get touched on either, like what if you can't retrieve the piece of your broken staff to do a repair and need to enchant a new staff w/ Enchant?

What extra steps should be taken to translate your old Energy Reserve advantage to this new host gadget?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote