View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #22
naloth

Default Re: should there actually be "indestructible" weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I'm not aware of any rule text that supports that assertion.
GM assigned, GM approved is such a direct rule. The guidelines for what a GM should assign are inferred based on what qualifies for the limitations. GMs can, of course, decide that gadgets are plot protected (functionally, practically, or truly invulnerable).

Conversely, there's nothing supporting indestructible gadgets (though supers introduced full DB to allow a shield that you can't really use as cover). Furthermore, suggesting players can fiat they have indestructible accessories, especially for free (0 points), directly contradicts the rules in several places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
"Lots of spares" would arguably mean no Gadget Limitations - because if such a device is stolen, you've still got those spares.
If it can be taken away depriving you of use for a bit <or> allowing it to be used against you, I'd allow "can be stolen." Breakable usually requires skill, inconvenient amount of time, and the right parts before you can use it again.

Stolen tends to kick in when you can't take it some place, get captured, or run against someone that can pry it out of your possession. You bypass it by recovering your gear or going off to get a new one. Often you can bypass this limitation in short order by smuggling your gear in or swiping it back.

Breakable typically happens through accumulated damage requiring you to come up with the time and/or money to fix it. It's usually not quick to resolve, but conversely this limitation doesn't require you to surrender it when entering custody nor does it allow your opponents to take and use it against you.

Quote:
I'd say without the Breakable Limitation, this means either a) the gadget somehow still functions even if destroyed, and probably repairs itself or b) there's an informal contract with the GM that the item won't be damaged, but the PC won't take advantage of this "indestructible" nature (say, by throwing it into a jet engine or wherever else a truly-indestructible item would wreck havoc).
Sure, basically like signature gear.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote