Thread: V&V Conversions
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Infornific

Default Re: V&V Conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I've looked at your post, and I have one comment on it: I've lately played with V&V character creation, and in the course of doing so, I worked out that taking Heightened Strength B gets you to D-scale, taking it three times gets you to C-scale, and taking it seven times gets you to M-scale.

For example, Heightened Strength B adds 3d10 to your S, which is an average of 16.5, raising S from 10 to 26.5. Using the equation for lift, [(26.5/10)^3 + (10/10)]/2 = 19.61/2 = 9.8 times your body weight, contrasted to 1 times your body weight for an average unpowered human.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure that's correct. The formula in V&V for calculating Carrying Capacity is closer to BL than GURPS ST. To be 9.8 times as strong as an ordinary man would require a GURPS ST of 31. Which is well within I level. According to your own book, top of I level is 15d damage or ST with Super Effort of +10/100. Roughly net ST of 120 or so.

Even someone with 7 levels of Heightened Strength B would have a Strength on average (assuming a base of 10) of about 126. With Endurance 10 and a weight of 150, that would be a carrying capacity of roughly 150,000 lbs or a GURPS ST equivalent of 316 - in the D range but well short of C or M.

To closely match the Heightened Strength B you'd need about 200 points in ST. I chose to limit to a 100 point trait partly because I wanted the powers to cost 100 each and partly because that's about enough to bring a normal person up to Captain America/peak human levels. I included the lowest level of practical Super Effort ST for 400 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The original Superman of 1938 just about fits as a C-scale character, which could happen with just the right rolls on the character creation tables. I don't think either the Superman of 1960 or the post-Byrne Superman of today could be duplicated in V&V, either in terms of raw power or in terms of diversity of powers.

To get 10x Basic Lift in GURPS takes ST 32; to get 100x takes ST 100. The latter is manageable for 900 character points. Of course you'll also need a few other abilities.
Not an expert but I thought 1938 Superman was about the top of I level bottom of D levels, though he rose pretty quickly. In Supers it's suggested he could be built on a 1,000 point, scaled down version of the Archtype template.

V&V is a little weird but the ceiling is usually fairly low by Super standards. That seems a good fit for GURPS Supers.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote