View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Force Sword Techniques -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
But it doesn't say that in the Basic Set, so there is a conflicting description. Usually, the latter book is correct - but that makes doing some of the speedy draw tricks with force swords impossible. You can Fast-Draw the sword from your belt as a Free Action, but you have to wait a second to use it. That doesn't smell right to me. Time to call in the PTB, you think SP?
Meh, I think this is a non-issue. Only if you absolutely insist that force swords work only as described in Ultra-Tech, does it matter. It seems to be an artificial condition of this thread, not a hard rule about possible variants of generic laser swords in GURPS.

I think that the force sword in Ultra-Tech is supposed to work like that, though sure. It says very definitely:
Quote:
A force sword may be activated as it is being readied on a successful Fast-Draw roll. Otherwise, it takes a Ready maneuver to activate it. In either case, it takes one second for the blade to form and stabilize.
Of course, it doesn't actually say what that means...

You probably can't Fast-Draw and attack with it on the same turn. You can still attack with a different weapon or take a different maneuver instead so Fast-Draw isn't wasted. Maybe you can parry with it on that first turn, not sure.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote