View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Varyon

Default Re: Force Sword Techniques -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Hmmmm. Easy enough to house rule that out but....Anyone got any thoughts on how to make the on-off-on-gack! attacks work by the rules? An advantage or perk?
I could see charging an Unusual Training Perk or similar for Trakata. I've got some houserules (heavily influenced by Setup Attacks) for Feints and similar bouncing around in my head, and the way I did Trakata upthread is more-or-less a "sneak peak" of that. Essentially, one part of it is that you can penalize the setup skill for an attack (Fast-Draw to Ready your weapon, Acrobatics when doing an Acrobatic Attack, and so forth) as a virtual Setup Attack (enemy defends normally, albeit without "using up" a defense) to penalize your foe's defense against the attack itself. Just as you need a Perk to be able to pull off Acrobatic Feints and the like, a Perk for something like this would also be appropriate - call it Iai for Fast-Draw (Sword), Trakata for Fast-Draw (Lightsaber), and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
As an aside how do hard time limits of equipment interface with ATR?
Up to the GM (and, arguably, the way ATR is justified), but typically speaking ATR doesn't get around hard limits. A character with an RoF 50 weapon can only fire 50 rounds per second, even if he gets 5 turns every second (each turn would only be able to shoot 10 rounds). A character with a Force Sword still has to wait a full second for it to fully activate before he can use it as well.

Of course, I'd argue that Star Wars is a setting where lightsabers are activated instantly and don't take a second to form. In the original trilogy, Obi-Wan seems to activate his weapon and attack pretty much instantly in the cantina (although I may be misremembering that bit), and in the new trilogy Yoda activates his weapon and decapitates two Clone Troopers pretty quickly. Trakata (which would require instant activation) is a fan creation, but if memory serves it was made (semi-)official in the SAGA edition of Star Wars d20. I don't think Star Wars will really lose anything important by leaving out Trakata and sticking with GURPS Force Sword mechanics, however, so it's ultimately up to the GM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote