View Single Post
Old 11-13-2022, 04:05 AM   #9
RGTraynor

Default Re: Judo Throw Perk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
While it makes sense for humans with ST in normal range, I'm not sure how it scales to the extremes or different body plans. For instance a tiger has more ST than human but not more height, and I'm not sure it should be so easy for a sprite to one-shot a giant. Not a judoka myself, but I'm wondering if there should be an upper limit, like 50% more than the thrower's own ST?
Well ... look. The amount of damage we're talking about here isn't likely to one-shot anyone short of a critical hit. The impact damage isn't a function of height, it's a function of mass. I'm not sold on using HP as the determiner, but I suppose it's the cleanest available metric.

While my own martial arts days are forty years behind me (ugh, it really has been that long), this brings to mind working out once with a college friend. Sue was a peanut who didn't weigh as much as a hundred pounds, and I was nearly a foot taller and a good deal heavier. In straight up striking, she couldn't hurt me much with the toughest shots she could manage, but she was very good with hip throws. If we went to grappling, she could definitely knock the wind out of me with a throw.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote