View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
thrash

Default Re: Cyberpunk, Space Travel, and Setting Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
Anyway, suggestions welcome. I think my major struggle at this juncture is wanting to have a world-hopping setting, but struggling to figure out how to move cyberpunk from its traditional city-centered Earth-side setting.
I suspect you're trying to reconcile a fundamental clash of tone. Cyberpunk is, by definition, dystopian. A lot of its flavor comes from the conflict between the haves and the have-nots in a resource-constrained world. Most world-hopping settings, on the other hand, are open, resource-unconstrained (more or less by definition), and at least tacitly optimistic. In order to bridge the gap, you should consider: what limits your world-hopping setting?

A couple of resources that might help:

You should check out Orion's Arm if you haven't already. I don't know that any of it is playable as-is, but it's a great source to mine for ideas.

diaspora is a FATE-based Traveller clone, but in a setting where any sufficiently advanced technology inevitably leads to collapse. This leads to a fairly dark and claustrophobic interpretation.

Of course, there was the Earth/Cybertech sourcebook for the 2300AD rpg, but it was more an attempt to bolt cyberpunk tropes onto a fairly optimistic multi-world setting.

There are a slew of indie sf rpgs (Star Thugs, Scum & Villainy, Bulldogs, Orbital Blues, etc.) where the player-characters are explicitly punks of one sort or another. They usually don't put much thought into the impact of the technology on society, however.

The Alien movie franchise (and, by extension, the rpg based on it) does touch on issues of humanity and posthumanism, though mostly through the lens of the robotic characters.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote