View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #53
Shostak

Default Re: Weapon Expertise: +1 per die of damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sorry, (1) and (2) are not sequential. They are the possible final outcomes I see. Either X announces that he will Defend, so A and B can both choose (or change to) Attack, or X announces that he will Attack, so that his target will Defend and the other guy will attack X.
Ah! I misunderstood

Quote:
Think of it this way:

I would regret a Defend action if I am not Attacked (it's a wasted action). But, according to RAW, I can always change a regrettable Defend.

I would regret an Attack (usually) if I Attacked a target who Defended while there was another possible target not Defending. According to RAW, every time I choose to Attack in a two-on-one, I'm likely to regret it.

That's the asymmetry I don't like.
One need not find regret in attacking a figure who winds up defending, since, at the very worst, you are preventing them from attacking, and you still have a chance of inflicting harm. Defending is no guarantee against being on the receiving end of a whole lot of hurt.

But, as mentioned earlier, deferring action until a foe commits to an action is always an option; if one figure attacks (and you survive) immediately counterattack while they can't defend.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote