View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #33
Tomsdad

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I thought one of Usain's "issues" was that he wasn't as fast off the block as other Olympic sprinters. I also remember reading that he doesn't have the optimal proportions for sprinting. So that a future perfectly optimized and trained but still natural human could noticeably beat his records.
Of course I don't know if such improvements would rise to a full or even half level of Move or not.
Yep, by accepted wisdom he's the wrong shape (and yep he doesn't have the greatest start in the world because of this). But he is able to make it work because he can against exceptions bring up his stride rate despite that shape, and this with his stride length/force due to his shape and power is a winning combo.

I head the same about the best theoretical time, but currently it seems to be estimated at 9.27sec so 3/10ths faster than Bolt, I'm not sure if that is expressible within the GURPS Move granularity (even if it's a massive amount in terms of 100m sprinting!)

Interestingly the working involves maintianing Bolt's stride power/length and quickening the stride rate. But Bolt's stride rate in combinton with it's power/length is already the thing that confounds accepted sprinting wisdom.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 08-13-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote