Thread: Hex Map Scales
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #12
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Hex Map Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
In our time and age you can get any size hex printed in almost any size page, with megahex and dots if you want.

any vector drawing program will be able to do it.

If you want I can wipe a page for you in less than half an hour, and I'm sure someone must have done it already.
Thank you! But yes, I've already done that myself. I did it the lazy way and found online web based utilities, generating a small library of the different sizes for myself in jpg and pdf formats. I didn't worry about megahexes though because I personally don't feel the need, but I do have dots in the center of hexes. A bit over two years ago I self-published a pdf book of right-angle, 7/8" hex tiles I've mentioned here before - if anyone needs that PM your e-mail address and I'll send a free copy.

Lord I forgot til this discussion, but around 1984 when I got my first printer from Radio Shack, and even though it was a daisy wheel printer(!) when I realized the "/" and backslash were at perfect 60 degree angles I went nuts writing a BASIC program to print hexpaper on the thing. Tons of esc codes to micro space and micro-back-space and micro-line-feed and micro-reverse-line feed. LOL - that's a year of my life I'll never get back!

It worked though. Had a menu where I could pick hex size, paper width, and order any number of continuous pages. It was a wide carriage, continuous pin feed printer -- I miss those! For larger maps I just wouldn't separate the pages at the perforation.

Of course it completely wore out the "/" and backslash characters on the daisy wheel after only a hundred pages, and I was only able to get one replacement before the thing was totally obsolete and the daisy wheels discontinued. I was teaching myself BASIC for the first time, so the project wasn't a total waste. I even have some pages left somewhere from the last print run -- I never throw out hexpaper :)

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 01-27-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote