View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Banestorm language question - english?

From GURPS Banestorm p. 33, "The Christian nations of Yrth speak Anglish, a language evolved from medieval English with heavy outside influences, mostly Norman-French." Keep in mind that the works of William Shakespeare and the (original) King James Bible are written in early Modern English.

If someone's doing a historical campaign set centuries in the past, the vignette on p. 5 has "His English had an odd accent." So an English speaker could understand the local English/Anglish.

In a modern campaign, keep in mind Niall of Fordham on p. 117. He is a native English speaker and writer, but spent full points for Anglish--there is no default between the two.

In a modern-day vignette in the current draft of my upcoming first GURPS book, GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves, I have a Banestorm victim from Earth who's talked to but "can't understand a word of that stuff."
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote