View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Yrth with RPM [Banestorm/Thaumotology]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
When it comes to utility items that replicate rituals, I would generally require 1 CP per energy point, modified by any application limitations. For example, a pot that creates five meals a day is using Greater Create Matter with a Duration of ten days, which would be 45 energy or 45 CP before modifiers. A pot that can be used by anyone is probably a -65% gadget modifer, plus Limited Uses (-10%) and Magical (-10%), would result in an item worth 9 CP. For 9 CP, you could have a gadget that would create five 10 lb meals every day, and the food would last ten days after creation.
That doesn't play with money very well, but I get what you mean by enchanted items as gadgets: you mean buy all magic items as powers with gadget limitations.

I'd probably build such items with the powers system rather than RPM and transforming energy cost to character points. If you're going to get a final result in character points, you should use a system that's built for them in the first place.

I'm not fond of magic item systems that use character points: they act more like learned powers than objects you can find in a chest, sell to a merchant, or so forth, but that is a way to run enchantments. Its particularly suitable for magic items that are tied to families, the mages that created them, or as gifts to individuals.

I don't think its particularly Yrth-like, but I can't actually think of an instance where buying and selling magic items matters in the setting.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote