View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #139
Phantasm

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Speaking of satellite TV, how has it changed since the 1980s vs the 2010s in that regard? What are the differences now in satellite TV now vs then?
First, you can get local channels via satellite now; you couldn't back then. There were the three main networks - ABC, NBC, and CBS - broadcasting over satellite, but I forget what they had for the slots scheduled for local news. (I forget when Fox was confirmed as the fourth network.)

Also, the receiver is much smaller, such that you can have a satellite dish on the balcony of every apartment in a three story apartment complex. Back then, you wouldn't have had the room for a single one to service the entire complex.

The number of channels available was smaller as well; I want to say there were about 20 as opposed to today's ~200. HBO or Cinemax, no Starz or spin-off networks, MTV was still showing music videos (I don't think VH1 existed yet), and I'm pretty sure Turner was still expanding. I'm pretty sure "reality television" hadn't yet been invented - MTV's The Reel World, which started the whole thing, was still a few years off I believe.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote