View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #128
Icelander

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Jacketed soft points, yes. Remington. Not sure of the size, but I tended to favor light bullets at that age, for reduced recoil. Maybe 80 grains? (Don't quote me.)
Wonderful. The exact loads my NPCs need are light JSP bullets for the caliber, meant to have reduced recoil.

For the more middle-class members of the hunting party, an important factor in weapon choice will be ammunition availability. Some of them will choose whichever of .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet, .243 Winchester or .30 Carbine offers the best selection of available ammunition that will a) Be able to humanely kill a coyote at 100-200 yards when used by an average shooter and b) Won't blow up a fox at close range, but rather kill him dead with minimal damage to the fur.*

*These might have to be two different loadings, as long as they are both available for the same gun.

Quote:
We had a long Christmas break, usually through New Years Day. But that was Pennsylvania. School districts vary a lot in the US- there is no national curriculum.
Good point.

The tiny town in the adventure is actually its own school district and so it doesn't break plausibility for me to have them run to a slightly different schedule, if, say, some of the schoolboard would like it.

Quote:
Public day care?!? In the US in the 80s? Of course not! Thats why you have a mother, and preferably an extended family in the area. The kids will be out sledding or whatever is popular locally. "Free-range" kids, remember? :)
Sure, sure.

Not public, then. I was wondering about a private day care, run by a widowed teacher, for some 5-10 children. For example, two particular children important to the backstory of the adventure, whose father was too drunk to watch them or earn much money, for that matter, and a mother who worked a lot of odd jobs to prepare for Christmas.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote