View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
BraselC5048

Default Re: Lite version of buying success for a Borderline Realism campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
With these prices, it's unlikely to be useful. People are better off just biting the bullet and buying Luck.
That's assuming you already have Luck; this is for times when you've already used it, and need to avoid getting killed before you get it back, or when you're stuck having to make a long-odds roll to avoid character death (usually either due to decisions the players made much, much earlier, and no stupid decisions either, and things evolved from there, or when the GM practically walked you into it.

Simply put, the +8 is there for when you need a critical success. (HT 14 with Very Fit, 10% chance, but you've been tied up and thrown into a lake, (you were drugged, and didn't have much of a chance to avoid it), your Escape roll passed (and you might well have needed to use Luck on that, is was something like 50-50, or maybe spend 2 points to pass that,) and at the depth you're at now anything but a critical success to avoid getting the bends results in you being dead.) Although in that example, it might just be better to use GM fait to say you got it.

Basically the +2 is for when you've used your Luck and now you've failed the 14 or less roll in the escape plan, or when you failed that on the entrance and used Luck, but now one of the guys you're fighting rolled a critical hit, and getting hit will pretty much mean the character's career's over. Extra insurance, basically, for very risky campaigns where you need something like the 15 point version of Luck twice (each works separately, each takes an hour before the next use) rather than the 30 point version each half hour.

Although I haven't really run campaigns with one or two characters in it, making a lot of rolls each, and fighting outnumbered, so I don't really have a good comparison time-wise. All I've done is more millitary-style where there's a half dozen guys on each side fighting (although normally we just assume a regular soldier at -HP or a major wound is a casualty, and leave it at that.) Of the times I've used it, once was running a starship battle on a ship without much ability to take critical hits, and luckily enough Luck managed to get a bridge hit (the first one of which actually benefited my character, but was rolled randomly), and wound up with another critical hit, without luck, and just got real life lucky with a third bridge hit. The other time was in the last few rolls of a session where my character won the medal of honor, and ironically enough it was after all the heroics were over. Dice were rolling really well that day.

Perhaps the 30 point version of Luck is enough for that type of campaign? I wouldn't really know.

(Once again, does this forum have any interest in a "your best campaign session recaps" thread, or simply me posting a recap? Guns-12 and a 6 round revolver, and no misses, and neck being rolled as often as torso, on both sides!
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote