View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
BraselC5048

Default Lite version of buying success for a Borderline Realism campaign

For a campaign which I like to think is halfway between Realistic and Borderline Realism, I came up with a greatly toned down version of buying success. It's costs (after the roll) 2 character points for a +2;, 4 points for a +4 (and GM approval); 6 points, GM approval, and the character didn't willingly choose to make the roll for +6; and 8 points, GM approval, and that depending on having not having chosen to get a place where you need to make the roll willingly, rather having it somehow forced on you, as well as extreme consequences for failure (read - forced to come up with a new character) for +8.

If you got to choose to make a roll where you could fail and still need +6 or +8 to avoid really bad things happening, instead of something safer, (+4 will get you there even if you're only effective skill 12), than you're out of luck for making bad decisions. Does not work on attack rolls, except in extreme circumstances, (with GM approval), usually on a ranged attack. (That's the "if we don't we're dead, right here and now," scenario. If you're a sniper and miss the shot to kill the president and win a losing war, than you don't get that, time for plan B.) Not allowed if the original roll was a critical failure.

Useful in "fail the roll or you die" situations, and extreme desperation where the players have run out of options.

One thing I'm divided about is buying off an enemy critical hit in combat. Maybe 5 points, and it's still hits, you do get a defense roll, and it's still the original roll (goon with full-auto rolled a 4 - try to dodge that!). Perhaps forcing the player to roll on the critical miss table too as a result? (Unarmed table if dodging, melee table if parrying or blocking.)
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote