View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
Agemegos

Default Re: [Space] Climate & habitability of tide-locked planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It generates worlds closer to the sun than is possible under the dice generation rules.
I wasn’t aware of that. I shall have to work out why, because it oughtn’t to.

Quote:
Normally rotating planets don't have an east pole or a west pole at the far side.
You still haven’t said what you mean by “east pole”, and it’s not a standard term.

Quote:
I suppose if you want to draw your map that way.
It has nothing to do with maps. On the actual planet there is a north pole and a south pole defined with respect to the rotation in the usual way, with an equator halfway between them in the usual place. The is no difficulty in defining latitude in the usual way, and that is what the planetary scientists who study and simulate these things do. There is no difficulty in defining east and west in the usual way, and that is what the planetary scientists do. What they discuss easterly and westerly winds and currents it is zonal ones, following parallels of latitude, that they refer to.

The equator and terminator are great circles, so they intersect at two points. The subsolar point stays very close to the equator because the tidal effects that reduce rotation rate also reduce obliquity. So however I draw a map, indeed whether I draw one or not, one of the intersections of the terminator and the equator is to the east of the subsolar point and the other is to the west of it. That is, using “east” and “west” in their usual senses, as the planetary scientists who study and model these planets and hypothetical planets do.

If you are using “east” and “west” in some unconventional way that you refuse to explain even when I ask, I have to conclude that you are not trying to communicate.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote