View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #50
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Shortening Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
  • Reduce the effectiveness of AI, remove it completely, or make it as precious as humans
Or you can make Complexity scale non-linearly. That way you can get AIs on stationary computers, but not on drones. This also helps cut down on the intelligence of homing missiles and other micro-thinkies. Good for a retro feel.
(For the record, ÆS has exactly one AI in the whole setting, and no player complained so far. OTOH, a single player did complain about not being able to trivially get a voice-to-text + translation software into a setting's high-end laptop. Life's hard.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
  • Have social pressures that remove the ability to use massive destruction against your foes

I have no real reason not to use mini-nukes and anti-matter rounds, though, outside of social pressures, which just means the bad guys are more likely to nuke people. I suppose I could introduce nuclear dampers.
Or you can abandon nukes entirely. Again, I have no nukes or nuke-equivalents in ÆS, and nobody complained. Having no nuclear power plants does result in a somewhat weird infrastructure for a world where extracting fossil fuels is a thing of the past, but life goes on.