View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Survivable Musket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
Survivable Guns article suggests halving the damage of some firearms and giving them AD(2) to make them less lethat. However, the article seems focused on modern firearms using jacketed ammunition.
Early firearms like muskets uses large unjacketed lead balls that are soft but expands well on impact. If I wanted to make muskets more survivable, would it be realistic if I kept its damage but added AD(0.5) on it?
Well armored cuirassiers with DR9 plate could resist the average musket shot (4d+2), but an unarmored line infantry would still take lethal wounds from it.
Survivable Guns also says "Guns firing relatively low-velocity projectiles (under approximately 1800' per second) have their dice of damage unchanged." Musket vs. cuirassier seems like black powder would be the likely propellant. Black powder muzzle velocities don't usually exceed 1300 fps (a .44 Walker revolver), with most muskets having muzzle velocities less than 1000 fps. It doesn't strike me that an armour divisor of 0.5 is justified.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote