View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Maz

Default Re: High GM burden - Time saving tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostWormOnItsWayHome View Post
Do people have a method for generating NPCs at a decent rate that does not require memorization of their relevant traits?

Are NPCs necessarily less complex (mechanically) than their PC counterparts?

When building NPCs do you start with a rough idea of how many points they should be worth, or do you just add traits and ignore point value?

Any time saving tricks that aren't directly related to NPCs?
First and foremost. Never, bother about statting up NPC's exactly. Don't bother about points at all unless you really need it for some reason (such as an Ally or Enemy). This alone should lift a huge weight from your shoulders.

To give a little more details; There are generally 3 types of NPC in any RPG.

1) Minor "faceless" NPC's.
2) Talk NPCs.
3) Enemies.

Minor NPc's are the random stable-boy, waitress and so on. You almost never have to stat them up at all. If the PC's tries to make them do something or for some reason need them to make a roll, just assume they have between 9-11 in whatever then need to roll. Or just make whatever the PC's try ,work if they have the right skills for it.

Talk-NPC's are all the ones the PC's are supposed to have a none-violent encounter with. Here I suggest the same as ErhnamDJ. Only stat the traits you really need for the encounter. In general though I tend to always stat up the 4 base attributes, as you then have something to base things on if unexpected things happen (like the PC's suddenly attack the peaceful ambassador...like they do).

Enemies, supposed to be there purely for combat I find actually need the most details. You need ST, DX, HT and often also Per and Will (to counter stealth and intimidation/magic). And you also need basic speed, move, dodge, weapon skills, combat relevant advantages and so on. Potential disads that influence their combat-style might also matter as well as exact armour and weapons. It depends on how detailed you run combat of course.
But again. Points matter not. To balance encounters takes learning points can never be an indicator.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote