View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Skarg

Default Re: Valuable magic items that are useless in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Speaking of the holdfast spike, suppose I push it in the ground and you come along and want to remove it. Seems to me you could dig around it and take the sod it's holding out of the ground. But then you have a useless spike surrounded by dirt. The dirt is magically adhering to it, but at what radius? Is it roughly 2000 lbs worth of dirt, to roughly match the strength of the spike? And then how can you make the spike useful again?
Good questions.

The description gives them one ton of resistance to being pulled out of any dirt strong enough to hold the spike's weight. But they can be broken & destroyed by a door being pushed open through them, only adding 1 die or 10 ST to the resistance. I would say that they are specialized at doing these things, so while it would take a ton of force to pull them out by the end, I don't see anything saying you can't dig them out by cutting/digging through the dirt around them, so I think that wouldn't be any more difficult than it normally would be for the material around them. So for dirt, even a dagger would let you dig out a spike and you could scrape the dirt off...

A spike stuck in a chunk of stone could still be useful as a kind of heavy grapnel which can hold a ton.

I'm NOT sure if you could scrape off ALL of the material and then re-use the item without the original user saying "Free", or if there'd always be a film of dirt and it'd not function as a Holdfast Spike that way. I tend to think it'd be unable to function.

However the Remove Cursed Object spell might reset the item.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote