View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: [Cyberpunk Engineering Challenge] #2 Typhoon Abatement Platform

The only way I could see this possibly working is if there's some point or stage in the ongoing 'process' of a hurricane that is vulnerable to disruption. What that would be is a good question, but if such a thing were discovered then maybe the tower concept might be workable. The equivalent of stopping a car or truck by disabling the spark plugs.

For believability, whatever it does should probably need time to work, not ending the storm all at once but gradually degrading it over hours and days. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing needed to be inside the eye of the storm to work. That's where the 'engine' is, after all. So using it might involve bringing it through the storm walls into the eye before it can be used. I see adventure possibilities.

Note too that all that energy is going to go somewhere. A hurricane redistributes energy from the tropics toward the higher latitudes. Disrupt one and the energy has to reappear somewhere. You'll likely affect the weather over a very large region.

Hmm...that might be a plot complication. You're in the process of destabilizing Typhoon Humongous to save Tokyo or Honolulu or something, but somebody else knows that doing to is going to dump torrents of rain on him and give him major flooding trouble, and somebody else knows you're going to create a drought over him as a side effect, so they're trying to sabotage it.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 05-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote