View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 02:33 AM   #14
DaosusLeghki

Default Re: Mage Specialization [Fantasy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It really does depend on the level of damage expected by the party. A party with four combatants that can recover 32 HP per day is capable of delving deeper and a lot more frequently than a party capable of recovering half as much. For less frequent threats, like disease and poisons, scrolls are probably more economical than spending CP on the spells, which the healer can cast for the party as well.

Playing a specialized healer is an awesome RP experience, as the healer is the most valuable player in the party. At DF point totals of 250 CP, you usually end up with fairly balanced character, as you can afford higher IQ and broader Magery/Power Investiture. In addition, you can start pick up interesting skills/talents for RP purposes.

For example, imagine a character with IQ 14, Goodwife 4, Magery 0+3 (Healing Only, -40%), Cooking-20, and Major Healing-25. They are party cook and party healer, so they are satisfying two important noncombat roles. During their offtime, they can make a living as a master chef or a master healer.

I would not personally find this character interesting. The game would presumably involve lots of combat, if you need to heal 32 HP on the regular. So for the largest chunk of table time, the player of this character would essentially....sit there and maybe run around trying not to get hit. Then, two minutes of rolling to fulfill his contribution to the party. Perhaps if this were a henchman.

I also have a problem with this character in terms of fitting into the world. There is rarely going to be a city large enough to justify needing that much specialization in one spell. It would generally be more useful to have many different spells, though I can see a character spending more than 1 pt on it even though it's not "optimal."
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote