View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #24
Tomsdad

Default Re: Avoiding Deathtouch? (or touch spells in general?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I had figured that was an extension of the "ignores armor" clause. If the spell can affect you through a helmet, gauntlet, breastplate, etc., which are all touching you, then it seems reasonable that it should affect you through a shield which is directly touching your hand or arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's exactly that.

You can dodge, of course!

You can parry, just not with an unarmed parry. A weapon parry is fine.

You can't block because that's really just parrying with an exceptionally well-armored hand.....
Thing is that is what makes a block with a shield not work, how does a parry with a weapon work?

I.e if a shield a metal/wooden/ leather thing you hold in your hand and interpose between the attack and yourself is dis-qualified in this context because it's really parrying with an extremely well armoured hand. Then how does that significantly differ from a weapon a metal/wooden/leather thing you hold in your hand and parry by interposing between the attack and yourself?

Not wanting to get into an esoteric discussion on the nature of shields and weapons*, but just by the defined reason given for shield/block not working I don't think weapon/parry should either?

(Or I guess is the weapon/parry does work than so should the Shield/block)

*although FWIW a shield to me is more weapon than amour

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-14-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote